THE PARENT COUNCIL
All parents are strongly encouraged to play an active role in the Drumragh Parents’ Council.
The Parents’ Council meets approximately once a month to organise and discuss fund-raising events through the year. In addition the group raises questions and offers suggestions that may help students to enjoy their educational experiences further. The Principal usually attends the monthly meetings and this creates a forum for open and useful communication. The Parents’ Council has raised funds for a variety of causes including trips and ICT equipment. All parents are welcome to attend and participate in the group’s activities.
THE ROLE OF THIS GROUP IS WIDE AND VARIED:
• Organising social events for parents, students and the local community
Parents are encouraged to play an active role in their son’s or daughter’s education. Ten ways in which they can do this are by:
1. Seeing that their children attend the college fully and punctually.
2. Taking an active interest in their children’s school work, including by using and checking the Student Planner.
3. Using Homework Plus to help their child to develop positive study routines and habits.
4. Ensuring that their children take care in their uniform and appearance.
5. Encouraging their children to show respect for parents, teachers and other students.
6. Notifying the college promptly of reasons for all absences.
7. Contacting the college immediately with changes of contact information, especially telephone numbers.
8. Letting staff know of particular needs or difficulties their children are experiencing.
9. Regular attendance at college functions and parent-teacher consultation meetings.
10. Regulating their child’s use of mobile phones and social media.
Above all, of course, your child needs to know that he or she is supported, valued and loved.